Wednesday, August 13, 2014

O JESUS I HAVE PROMISED

Oh, let me hear Thee speaking,
In accents clear and still,
Above the storms of passion,
The murmurs of self-will;
Oh, speak to reassure me,
To hasten, or control;
Oh, speak, and make me listen,
Thou Guardian of my soul.
it is very needful of us, I believe, to constantly check up on our old but lovely hymns. As I was rehearsing this evening with my guitar, I decided to sing and play some hymns :singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs among yourselves, and making music to the Lord in your hearts (Col.3:16, Eph 5:19) as the Bible instructs.

I ended on this hymn, O JESUS I HAVE PROMISED. I ended on this verse. Beyond the solfas and melody, the lyrics ministered to me brand new. I realized that as much as God may want to hasten us to do certain things, He also wants to control us, hold us back, caution us but how often do we listen? When God speaks or when his will negates our self-will, do we listen?
When the STORMS of passion rolls, there's the still voice.

it serves as a fitting hymn of commitment for every Christian.  It not only reminds us of the promises that we have made to Jesus, but it also asks Jesus to protect us from the dangers and temptations posed by the world. I hope that we are planted in his footmarks.

If there is a prayer at all, its Oh, speak, and make me listen, Thou Guardian of my soul.
Have you made that promise?

1 comment:


Whats your take on this? Do you have other tips you would like to contribute to this? Pls, let me hear from you via comments. Thank you